Mark Twain, the Father of American Literature
Samuel Langhorne Clemens, most famously known as Mark Twain is one of America’s influential writers and entrepreneurs. He was born in Florida, Missouri, and 1835 and died in Redding, Connecticut in 1910. Mark Twain authored several lectures, essays, stories, and accounted for 28 books.
He will forever be known as the creative mind behind Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer. Though he is gone, he has left us with several inspiring and entertaining quotes to keep us focused on getting the best out of life.
So, we have put together a list of 25 of our favorite Mark Twain quotes. Hopefully, some will motivate you and others will make you laugh.
1. The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.
2. A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.
3. Never allow someone to be your priority while allowing yourself to be their option.
4. Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; the truth isn’t.
5. The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.
6. To succeed in life, you need two things ignorance and confidence.
7. Don’t part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.
8. Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured.
9. Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect).
10. Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.11. Wrinkles should merely indicate where the smiles have been.
13. Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear — not absence of fear.
14. Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody.
15. Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
16. If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
17. Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other.
18. Kindness is a language that the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
19. With courage you will dare to take risks, have the strength to be compassionate, and the wisdom to be humble. Courage is the foundation of integrity.
20. Words are only painted fire; a look is a fire itself.
21. If you tell the truth, you don’t have to remember anything.
22. Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile.
23. The trouble is not in dying for a friend, but in finding a friend worth dying for.
24. Do something every day that you don’t want to do. This is the golden rule for acquiring the habit of doing your duty without pain.
25. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
Thanks for reading. I hope the words in this article were helpful or helped spark conversation.